Note: The competition is now closed and the winners for 2007 have been announced.
Click here to see the winning limericks.
Click here to see a map of the top 50 entries.
Click here to see a list of the top 50 entries.
There was an old man from Rudheath
Who had trouble with a set of false teeth
They weren't his own
He had them on loan
From the chap he lived underneath
by Olwyn Dean, Northwich, Cheshire
Fancy Writing a Limerick About The Place Where You Live?
To celebrate the diversity of British place names (and to generally have a bit of fun), we're running a competition to find Britain's "Best Local Limerick 2007".
Why not try your hand at writing a limerick about the place where you live?
Entries So Far
Apart from the fame and glory of having your limerick displayed here, we'll also be awarding the following prizes:
- Top Prize (Best Local Limerick): £50 gift voucher for Amazon.co.uk
- 3 Runners-Up Prizes: £20 gift vouchers for Amazon.co.uk
How to Enter
Write to us with:
- your limerick
- your full name
- the name and county of the place you've written about
- the name and county of the place where you live
Have fun and good luck!
- You must be the original author of the limerick.
- The limerick must include the name of a village, town, or suburb featured on the Localmouth site (with over 40,000 of them, that includes most places in Britain, but not Northern Ireland).
- You may write about places other than your home town.
- Multiple entries per person are permitted.
- The limerick must not be rude, vulgar or defamatory.
- The last date for entries is 15th October 2007.
- Winners will be notified by email and announced on this site by 24th October 2007.
- The judge's decision is final and no correspondance will be entered into.
- The competition is only open to UK residents.
- By entering, you consent to your limerick being used on the Localmouth.com site, in our publicity materials and in news media covering the competition.
For further enquiries about this competition, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To look up the place where you live on Localmouth, click here.